- Republic of Marshall Islands has issued Marine Safety Advisory No. 52-17 on Ballast Water Exchange (BWE) requirements for vessels on a voyage between two North Sea ports.
- North Sea countries have designated specific areas in which BWE can take place in the North Sea for intra North Sea traffic. The implementation and details of these areas are contained within IMO circular BWM.2/Circ.56.
- Administration has advised Owners and Operators to familiarize themselves with the circular as the requirements are being enforced by local Port State Controls.
- Annex I of the circular contains map of the North Sea areas where ballast water exchange is applicable.
- Annex II shows area average risk index (ARI) in the North Sea and defined in red for the Traffic Separation Scheme Terschelling-German Bight where BWE is not allowed.
- Owners and operators are advised to use the co-ordinates provided in Annex 3 and the maps of the IMO circular as corrected by the Kompromisslinie to identify the BWE areas.
- Ship owners/ operators are advised to be guided by above.
- RMI Marine Safety Advisory No. 52-17
- IMO Circular BWM.2/Circ.56
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.